Nowadays, we hear more and more about electric cars, so we will now present a little more detail about that.
What should you watch in case of electric cars?
Don’t confuse electrical car with hybrids
Electric cars use strictly the battery, while the hybrids have a petrol engine that charges the battery and if it is discharged, it takes the battery’s task. Hybrids are good alternatives to electric cars if you want to drive more than the “battery time”.
Consider the warranty of the battery
In almost all cases, the battery warranty period is longer than the warranty of the car. For example in case of the BMW i3, for the battery they give 8 years or 100,000 miles of warranty. The guarantee of Tesla lasts for up to 8 years without any mileage, and Hyundai take a lifetime guarantee.
Compare the battery size
Here, we do not think of the physical dimension, though the larger size usually affects the weight of the vehicle. What we really want to know is the battery power that is measured in kilowatt hours. The higher the number of kilowatt hours, the greater the vehicle’s range.
Know how and when to charge the electric car
Most electric cars are charged with a standard 220 V voltage, either inside or outside a building. Many car manufacturers offer even more powerful and faster chargers. The 220 V voltage means approx. 80 km distance after an 8 hour charge. The stronger charges up to “30 kilometers” per hour.
Take care of the distances
Initially, there was some kind of anxiety about electric cars. But you can quickly learn what to do when planning a trip and when to charge it. Different accessories (air conditioner, GPS) can shorten the range, as well as extreme hot or cold temperatures. If you’re worried about running out on the go, a hybrid car can be the best solution.
Most electric cars are equipped with a navigation system that shows filling stations, many of which are free, but time-limited. There are already smartphone applications that show these charging stations.
Calculate the electricity costs
Although you do not need to buy gasoline, you will need energy to charge and energy is not free.
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of an electric car?
1. No petrol is needed
Electric cars are entirely powered by electricity, which means that you do not need to buy more petrol. Fuel-based cars can burn a hole in our pockets because fuel prices are always high. With electric cars, all this is avoided. Although electricity is not free, electric cars are much “cheaper”.
2. No harmful emissions
Electric cars are 100% environmentally friendly because they are powered by an electric motor. It does not emit toxic fumes or smoke, runs on pure energy. They are even better than hybrid cars in this respect as they use gas-based emissions too. So it contributes to a healthy and green environment.
Electric cars are becoming more popular. With this popularity, newer types are emerging on the market, all of which are unique. Most governments support green development.
4. Safe driving
Electric cars go through the same suitability and testing procedures as their others.
Earlier, electric cars were very expensive things. But due to technological advances, costs and maintenance have also decreased. Mass production and the available tax incentives reduced further their costs.
6. Low maintenance costs
Electric cars are powered by electric motors, so no lubrication is required.
7. Reduced noise pollution
Electric cars are much quieter and can provide greater acceleration over a longer run with smooth drive.
1. Failure of charging points
Charging stations are still in development at many places.
2. Electricity is not free
Electric cars can considerably increase the energy bill if you do not consider the options in advance. Sometimes electric cars require a huge fee to work properly.
3. Short range and speed
Electric cars can move in a limited range. Most of these types of cars can do 80-150 kilometers and then you have to recharge them. You can’t use them for long journeys, although this is likely to change in the future.
4. Longer charging time
While a petrol-car refueling only takes a couple of minutes, the electric car’s charging time is approx. 4-6 hours.
5. Silence as a disadvantage
Silence can be a disadvantage because people like to hear noises, for example, that someone comes behind them. The electric car, however, is “silent” and this can sometimes lead to an accident.
6. Normally there are 2 seats
Much of today’s electric cars are small, there are only 2 seats. It’s not ideal a whole family.
7. Need for battery replacement
Depending on the type and use of the battery, almost every electric car needs to replace the battery in every 3-10 years.
8. It is not suitable for out-of-town traffic due to the shortness of performance
Because electric cars need charging, they are not too ideal for out-of-town transport.
Some basic models may still be very expensive depending on how new and advanced technology they are using.
Some things you certainly don’t know about electric cars
– An average person travels less than 30 kilometers per day. Many electric cars do more than 70 km with one charge, so it’s safe and convenient to get from A to B. For longer trips, a hybrid car can be a good alternative. Both help, reduce dependence on foreign oil and contribute to a cleaner environment.
– The electric car market is growing more than you could notice.
– There are more than 13 electric vehicle models on the market and this figure is steadily rising.
– Electric cars are a highly efficient transport method. 80% of the battery’s energy comes directly to the car’s “engine”, as opposed to gasoline cars the same value is only around 14-26%.
– Contrary to petrol cars, electric cars do not produce exhaust gases as they move.
– The battery is one of the most expensive parts of electric cars, but technology advances make it cheaper.
– Outside the wiper blades and the tires, all electric cars require little maintenance, so consumers can save money during the car’s life. Even brake pads are more durable because they use regenerative braking to slow down the car – a method that converts that energy what needed to decelerate the car to an energy what stored in the battery.
– Most electric car owners charge the car at night when they are at home and electricity costs are lower at this time. But a lot of charging stations make it even easier to get electric cars up.
Electric cars are not ideal for everyone. You can travel with them through the country, but it will a long tour. However, they are the perfect solution for those who drive to and from the workplace and can do this within a filling time.
So the 8 most important things you need to know about electric cars
- Electric cars are more expensive than the same size petrol cars.
- It consumes a lot less per kilometer.
- Some cars have a built-in motor (hybrid), others do not.
- It is much better to drive than you think – they are very silent and have a surprisingly high torque.
- The temperature is important – they are “happiest” at 21 degrees Celsius.
- Electric cars have lower emissions.
- Yes, you can go with them on car wash, puddles as well.