When the temperature drops below 7-8 degrees, near mountains and smoggy areas there are a high chance to form fog.
Driving in fog is very dangerous. In this case, the overriding and bumps are common. If you keep some advice you can reduce the risk of accidents.
What should you look for?
– Be aware of local weather conditions – in the morning and evening fog is common, so if it’s possible, avoid driving at this time.
– When you enter into the fog, slow down, move the brake gently, so you can warn the cars behind of you.
– Do not accelerate up – because of the cloud, many people feel that they drive very slowly unreasonable, so they step on the gas. Watch the speedometer and not exceed the speed limit.
– Keep a higher following distance – increase the normal following distance far as safe.
– Use the window heating systems – the fog often condenses on the windshield, it blocks the view, therefore, the window turn on the heater and if it’s necessary the wipers too.
– Be visible – always switch on the lights on the car.
– If it’s necessary, use the fog-lamp – every car has rear fog-lamp. If the visibility is less than 100 m in order to increase the visibility switch on. Some cars has also front fog lights, you can turn on it to improve visibility. But pay attention to switch off these things it you go out of the fog, because you can dazzle other road users.
– Use low beam headlights – in case of fog, poor visibility, the visibility reduces significantly, so switch on the dipped headlights too.
– Do not use the high beam “headlights” – the light of headlights reflect in the fog, reduce our and the streets’ visibility.
– Beware of lane keeping – if visibility deteriorates, the majority of drivers start towards the middle of the road. Make sure to stay in our lane.
– Follow the halfway line – if you do it, you won’t get into the opposite lane. Many people follow the lights, but they can be misleading.
– You can use the right edge of the road as guidelines. It helps avoid to convert to an opposite lane, but in the case of blinding headlights can also be helpful.
– At crossing or train crossing intersections you can „hear” through the open window that the turning is safe or not.
– Ask for help – ask your fellow passengers to watch for oncoming cars or road barriers.
– If you need, stop the car – if you feel that it is very dense fog or your eyes strain, stop until the fog disperse.
It recommended to go to the next parking place, but if the road edge is the only available space, you can pull over. It is important that you leave turned on the lights, switch on the hazard warning lights and place the warning triangle in the right distance, not just a few steps away from the car. But let us all very careful and wear yellow waistcoat! 🙂
So, what is the most important:
- Take care of ourselves, to other people and suddenly appearing animals too.
- Move according to the viewing conditions, do not stress due to the snail pace, brake earlier, help the other cars.
Be patient compared with the insecure, everyone has the same purpose: to get home safely.